Uwa is a Partner and Head of the Intellectual Property Department (IP) of the Firm. She has specialist experience in all aspects of IP Law & Practice, all manages (from start to completion) the IP portfolios of numerous blue chip international corporations based particularly in the US and Europe. By virtue of her position, Uwa has oversight responsibilities for all services rendered by the IP Team.
She was appointed a Panel member of the US National Arbitration Forum in 2002 to arbitrate on the largest Domain Name dispute involving a well-known cable news provider. For very many years, Uwa was the only Panelist from Nigeria at the WIPO Domain Names Arbitration & Mediation Center, she was featured in the 2013 and 2014 Editions of International Who is Who of Professionals in Nigeria. She has also handled Domain Names Disputes through WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization), one of which, she was Sole Panelist.
- Member of Committee of Experts, appointed by the Federal Science & Technology Minister in April 2011, to review the Draft Science, Technology & Innovation Policy’s compliance with Intellectual Property law;
- Drafted Terms of Reference for a study on Intellectual Property for OPEC’s Research & Development (R&D) officials in July 2010.
- Was Chairperson, Panel on Review of Nigerian Draft Trademarks Act (2002) and advises the Federal government on various IP-related issues (e.g., “Should Nigeria Join ARIPO?”). She was commissioned by the Federal Minister of Commerce to prepare a Study on revamping the Nigerian Trademarks Office.
- Only speaker from Africa at the 1st BRICS’ IP Conference, New Delhi, 2008.
- Member of 3-man US National Arbitration Panel to adjudicate on domain dispute involving the well-known, US-based, cable news network provider; also handled similar disputes through WIPO.
- The only Nigerian Recognized amongst the Top 250 Women in Intellectual Property 2017, globally, by Managing Intellectual Property.
- Awarded IP STAR in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 in recognition of outstanding achievements, by Managing Intellectual Property (MIP).
- World’s leading trademark professional by WTR 100 in 2016 and 2017
- Nigeria’s leading lawyer Who’s who legal
- Recognized as one of Nigeria’s 50 Most Influential Women in the legal profession by Business Day, April 2011;
- Recognized as one of the leading IP lawyers in Nigeria by Practical Law Company, 2011; and
- South West Co-ordinator – African Women’s Lawyer Association of Nigeria.
- Member, Committee of Experts, appointed by the Federal Science & Technology Minister, April 2011, to review the Draft Science, Technology & Innovations Policy’s compliance with Intellectual Property (see below).
- Served as a member of the Anti-Counterfeiting Committee (Country Data Forms Subcommittee) of the International Trademark Association (INTA), 2002-2003.
- Committee member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA).
- Committee member of the Bulletin Committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA).
- Chairperson, Panel on Review of Nigeria’s Draft Trademark Act– April 2002.
- Member of the WIPO (Geneva) Arbitration and Mediation Center’s Domain Name Panel- December 2001. For very many years, Uwa was the only Panelist from Nigeria.
- In November 2002, she was appointed by the National Arbitration Forum, USA, to sit on the 3-member International Panel set up to arbitrate on what is perhaps the biggest domain name dispute so far, in history (involving over 300 domain names at the same time), involving Cable News Network LP, LLP (otherwise known as CNN) and another party.
- In July 2011, Uwa was once again appointed by WIPO as part of a 3-man panel for another Domain Names Dispute (WIPO Case No. D2011-0921). The panel decision was submitted in August 2011.